What is affiliate marketing? You may already have an idea that is brewing inside your mind, but you are not quite sure what it is. Well, affiliate marketing is a performance-based marketing where you promote the products of your partner vendors through the content that you make.
It is ‘performance-based’ in the sense that the amount of money that you can gain from this will depend entirely on the amount of time and effort that you put in.
Now, I know what you’re thinking, how the heck do you earn money through affiliate marketing? Well, whenever you are into this, you will partner with a vendor or merchant that sells goods.
Both of you will agree to an affiliate program and from there, you will be given special URLs known as affiliate links. You can choose to include the affiliate links anywhere on your content and so long as people are clicking on it, you can gain some potential earnings.
Now, how you’re getting paid will directly be tied on the payment model that your partner merchant uses. In most cases today, vendors (or publishers) will use the pay-per-sale model where you are only given commissions based off of every sale that was made using your affiliate link. So, to sum it up, you create content, you embed the affiliate links, your audience clicks on the link and buys the stuff on the page (assuming the merchant uses the PPS model), and you will receive a percentage commissions after that.
The Benefits of Affiliate Marketing
Now that you know what affiliate marketing is, what are the possible benefits that can be had when you dabble into the said industry? Well, here are just some of them:
- Huge Potential Earnings- This is what entices a lot of people to try affiliate marketing for themselves. There is a lot of potential earnings that can be had in this industry, provided that you are okay with doing the necessary legwork to achieve massive success
- No Huge Capital Required- If you have a computer and an internet connection, you can start becoming an affiliate today
- Convenient and Flexible- Because this is a performance-based digital marketing scheme, you pretty much have the convenience and flexibility that is unmatched by other industries. In other words, you can work at your own pace, if you so desire.
Downsides of Affiliate Marketing
Although there are many upsides to affiliate marketing, there are also downsides as well. Here are just some of them:
- You Go Against Stiff Competition- You’re interested to get into affiliate marketing, right? Well, you are not the only one
- You Have No Control Over the Programs- Sure, you can choose which affiliate program you want to enlist in but you do not have control about the conditions that pertain to the affiliate program you want to join
- Success isn’t Guaranteed- Affiliate marketing is not for people who are impatient or those that are unwilling to modify their campaigns for better success. Success, therefore, isn’t a guarantee.